This kit is best suited for Grade Five Science (Wetland Ecosystems) and combines a variety of hands-on, interactive activities with inquiry-based learning. The kit includes: a teacher’s guide, supplementary resources, posters and a DVD. The poster and DVD can be ordered by emailing Alberta Environment at email@example.com
This comprehensive Teacher's Guide is organized in sequential order, beginning with an exploration into wetlands and ending with action-orientated projects and activities, including a wetland field trip.
Note: The activities listed under Supplementary Resources are all downloadable and correspond with the activities in the Teacher Guide.
Activity 18+: Additional Resources
• Resource List
• Wetlands Wonderland Video Summary
Activity 4: Wetlands and Watersheds
• River Basins of Alberta Map
• Demonstration One – Teacher Background
• Demonstration Two – Teacher Background
Activity 1: Can You Spot Me?
Activity 3: What is a Wetland?
• What is a Wetland?
• Describing Wetlands
• Wetland Types – Teacher Background
• What is a Wetland – Student Worksheets
• Saturate Your Senses Activity
Activity 6: Wetland Wonders
• Wetland Wonders – Teacher Background
• Observation Sheet
• Lab Report
Activity 7: Living in the Wet
• Living in the Wet – Teacher Background
• Animal and Plant Adaptations Chart
Activity 8: Who Eats Whom?
• Who Eats Whom – Teacher Background
• Scenario Cards
Activity 9 - 13: Wetlands Field Trip (SQUISH)
•Teacher Tip-Sheet for Fieldtrip
•SQUISH Student Booklet
Activity 9: Wetlands Field Trip (SQUISH)
•Pre and Post Field Trip Planning –Teacher Information
•How to Make an Underwater Viewer and Insect Catcher
•Frogs in the Classroom
Activity 10: Investigating Wetland Soils